End of the Funk or Best Before Date

This blog  has two titles.  I've been struggling between calling it “End of the Funk” and “Best Before Date”.  The reality is both are appropriate and reflect the situation I'm in.

I have now been working in Cuba for over 3 years. In that time I wish I could say that I've seen things get better but that would be a lie.  Things are continuing to get worse for both the country and the company.  This also means that our quality of life as expats and working conditions has also declined. 

As a professional it’s hard going to work every day just trying to keep things together as opposed to being able to make a positive change.  At some point in time you get tired of hitting your head against the wall and it gets a tad bit depressing.  Also I keep feeling that by staying here I’m falling behind in where I want to go with my career.  I miss the days of working for junior companies.  From developing the business, obtaining financing and trying to turn an idea into a viable business.  I have enjoyed working for a mid level company with actual revenue as well.   Don’t get me wrong the paycheques have been great and I think it kind of handcuffs you to the place.   That being said I have shifting priorities.

As we all know I have met a wonderful woman and we have had an accaexcellent time together this year.  I’d really like to be able to spend some real time with her and see where things can go.  I don’t want to sacrifice my other goals as well so I’m struggling with how to bring them all together.  So this past week I finally reached my boiling point and updated my resume and started applying for things.  I have updated my profile with some head hunters, will speak to another executive search firm when I’m home, and try and have a long conversation with my employers.   There are two ideal scenarios.  One is find the right job in Kelowna and in a far distance second would be a job in a first world country that would continue to pay me a premium salary. 


Either way I think the funk has ended and the best before date is coming soon.

Hasta luego

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Strange Day

It's Been a Long Time Since I Left You