Poker I Hardly Know Her

This weekend started off on an interesting note.  On Friday morning, all of the expats received an email that our boss was having a bbq for us on Friday night.  We all thought something was up. Our boss isn't a very social creature and never communicates about things other than work.  Upon our arrival he was a gracious hot running around making sure we had beer, or whatever we wanted.  The food was amazing.  One of the expats had found a good meat sluppy and we had NY strip steaks, and a wonderfully smoked pork tenderloin.  We also had this very foreign invention, called a salad.  Not only that but we had salad dressing!!!!!!!  Needless to say we were all excited and ate to our hearts content.  Finally one of the other expats asked when the other shoe was going to drop.  Much to our surprise the boss said that it was just a bbq and nothing more.  So we continued to trade stories and then soon enough it was time make our way to poker.

By this point the crew had thinned out to 4 people, and we had all be sufficiently primed.  So we decided to crack a bottle of the Barrel Proof rum.  Some of them prefer to drink it neat, but I need my mix.  Call me a pansy, but I like to cut it a bit.  Between the 3 of us we pretty much finished off the bottle.  This stuff was so good and so smooth it went down like butter.  Needless to say we all had a very slow Saturday morning.

We managed our way through Saturday morning, and reconvined at the apartments to make our way to Baracoa for the evening.  Baracoa is a small town about 1 1/2 hours away.  With normal roads it may take you 45 mins, but this is Cuba.  Baracoa is the most easterly town in Cuba.  First place that Columbus discovered in Cuba, oldest Church in Cuba, etc.  We got to the hotel after the customary pee breaks, and all dived into the pool.  It made for a very relaxing evening, followed up by a nice relaxing dinner.  I didn't really drink and was in bed at a reasonable hour, with no expectation of seeing Ralph.  Like the bonehead that I am I forgot to turn off my alarm, so I was awakened at 6:15 as per usual.  I fell back asleep for a bit but then decided it was time to hit the pool.  I think I spent 3 hours in the pool before we checked out and headed to the beach.

At the beach we had a nice seaside lunch that took 2hrs to be delivered, and then I spent another 2 hours in the ocean before we came home, thoroughly exhausted and relaxed.

So while I realize this post is pretty bland in comparison, hopefully the sober picture taking will help compensate.  Less than a week to go until I'm home.  Wooo hooo.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Strange Day

It's Been a Long Time Since I Left You