Time

Compared to the other guys that I work with I have a pretty good schedule.  We are all required to work 37 weeks a year which means 222 work days on a compressed schedule.  While they routinely work 6 week rotations I normally keep mine well under that.  Our roles are different.

Being in finance/accounting there are certain periods that I need to be on site for.  For example every month end period I need to be here for.  This normally means that I’m here for the first two weeks of every month.  If the month end is also a quarter end, then I’m normally here for an additional week or two as well which can result in some longer rotations.  While this system has been working for my Canadian counter parts and the Canadian partner, my Canadian boss in Cuba would prefer if I was “on site” more.  While I still work the same amount of days as my counter parts I am required to be at certain meetings and events in Canada periodically.  Also my Canadian boss in Canada has been a strong supporter of training and insisted that the training I take is included in my “work time”.  For this year I had over two weeks of time where I was working but not “on site”.

This all came to a head earlier this year.  My Canadian boss in Cuba wanted me here more and for me to actually use my vacation.  So I modified my schedule as best I could to try and meet all parties involved desires.  So that being done I was left with 3 longer than I’d like rotations.  My first rotation of the year is one, I’m currently finishing off my second one, and my last one is planned for October/November.

What does this mean?  Well even with the vacation in the middle of this rotation I’m tired.  I need to get back to the real world.  I need some modern conveniences.  I need to catch up with people.  I need to unwind.  Next week my gf and I are headed on a very relaxing trip.  While we have an earlier start a couple of the mornings, this trip couldn’t have been timed any better.  So after this week you won’t be hearing from me for a while.  I will not be taking a computer with me nor do I want to think about work or surf the internet for anything else for that matter.  I’m going to unplug, relax, recharge and enjoy all that life has to offer.

Teamo Tequiero

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Strange Day

It's Been a Long Time Since I Left You