Where do we go from here?

Ok so made my first post in over a year this past week.  I've started and stopped this entry several times.  Why?  Well I didn't know if I should write this one and if so how it was going to flow.  So without further delay lets see what we got.

So the last several weeks have been interesting.  Well in all honesty the last couple of months.  Over the last few months I started hanging out with a new person.  I guess not really new as she used to date a friend of mine.  Yeah I know bro-code and all but it was a long time ago.  I don't really remember spending much time with the two of them back then as I had my own stuff going on.  I had just started my new job in Cuba, I was seeing somebody new myself at the time (on and off) and yeah we didn't really see each other a ton over that time.  Life was busy.

Anyhow we went out a couple of times for some drinks and debauchery.  When I say debauchery I mean consumption of far too much alcohol and some good food.  Get your heads out of the gutter people!  We joked and laughed a ton and had a good time.

So we continued.  We have had lots of good conversations as to where we are at in our life's, what we were thinking about, how things were going, and what we both were looking for.  These are things that had to happen sooner than later due to my traveling schedule and both of us wanting to know if we were on the same page.  I have to say it was refreshing and a tad scary all at the same time.

I have had a several significant relationships in my life but this is the first time I feel like the communication is actually working.  It's not that I think I'm a bad at communication, but I think it takes the right person to get me to open up a bit. It probably comes down to trust and respect.  I have great friends and I feel totally safe in telling them stuff.  No matter what I say I know that they won't judge me but instead they take the time to listen.  Makes me feel safe in letting it go.  Well this is the same but different/better.

So where do we go from here?  Well I think we both have made significant leaps of faith.  We have planned a couple of big trips together.  By big I mean really stupid big for people just starting a new relationship.  A few months ago, two very good friends of mine (a couple) and I decided to do a vacation in Cuba.  I really wanted them to see where I live and work, and they really needed a vacation.  Perfecto.  The plan is to spend several days in the resort, drive through Moa and head to Baracoa for a night.  Then the next day drive back to the resort.  This way they can see the real Cuba as well as see something that tourists don't get to see.

I had spoken with these friends when I was home about what they thought if I invited her.  They were both all for it.  I had a couple of days of travel to think about things and then finally asked her early this week if she would like to come and if she was able to get the time off of work.  I have a ton of Aeroplan points so the idea was to fly her down on those.  No muss no fuss.  Even then I was nervous.  We really haven't spent that much time together and she hasn't even met my friends yet alone being prepared to spend a week together.  I think she was just as nervous as I was when I asked her.  She asked a few questions and then readily agreed.  She seemed to be as nervous and excited as but still had see if she could get the time off of work.  Let the waiting game begin.

Then something funny happened.  Come Wednesday after lunch when comeback to my office there is a gigantic butterfly hanging from the ceiling right outside of my office door.  This thing was probably 8 inches across.  One of the Cubans came into my office and asked me if I had was expecting a visitor in the next little while.  I said no that I wasn't.  She then explained to me in Cuba these large butterflies are a sign that you will be receiving a special visitor in the near future.  Now I'm not one for signs or signals but I found this to be a hell of a coincidence.  This butterfly wasn't intent on leaving either.  It stayed there the rest of the day and all the way through Thursday and Friday morning.  On Friday afternoon we finally learned that she was able to cover all of her shifts at work and was coming. No sooner than that happens and I go to see if the butterfly is still around, but it is nowhere to be found.  Apparently it had done its job.

Prior to this we had been planning a trip to Vancouver Island.  She had never been there before and I hadn't really been over there in a very long time myself.  This trip planning took a back seat for the week to getting the Cuba trip sorted out, but as soon as that was done the Vancouver Island trip got sorted out as well.  A couple of nights in Parksville for some well deserved pampering and R&R, then a couple of days in Tofino exploring and riding bikes, before heading to Victoria to be tourists for a couple of days.  Everything for this trip got booked today except for the nights in Victoria.  I was shocked to learn that some of the hotel rooms in Tofino get booked out 2 or 3 years in advance.  That is absolutely crazy.  That being said they do have some pretty crazy ass views.

So yeah that's the story.  It started one way, touched on some communication items, got weird with the butterfly and ends with the plans for a wicked road trip.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Strange Day

It's Been a Long Time Since I Left You