Muerta Vaca

So Christmas came and Santa delivered. I even heard that Santa tried to deliver me a stocking but Santa's little helper wouldn't deliver the goods.  Next time no excuses. What an amazing week.  I don't think I could have hoped or planned or dreamed for a better vacation.

The weather was perfect.  It was hot, a little breezy at times and sunny.  Everybody walked away with a tan and there was very little sunburning to be had.  I think we have our little sunscreen captain to credit for that, so please take a bow, job well done.  She made sure we kept applying sunscreen, were in the shade or had a sun shirt on.  

However I feel like we are getting ahead of ourselves.  So let's start from the beginning.  The gf and friends were up bright and early on Sunday to start their journey and I was up around the  same time.  Hard to sleep when you are waiting for Santa.  So they start their journey and I started packing and trying to make myself nap before I hit the road.  I had a nice peaceful drive to the resort which only took me about 2 1/2 hours, settled into the room and started making some arrangements.

Cuba is know for their beautiful old cars and I really wanted to find something nice to pick us up at the airport.  I talked to one of the guys at the hotel and he was able to locate us a 54 Buick convertible.  Gorgeous car.  I was so excited.  Hop in the car and the first stop we need to make is to fill up the car with gas.  Ok whatever this is Cuba.  So buddy opens the trunk and there is a plastic jug that the hose goes into wrapped in a a rag.  Oh yeah Cuban engineering/macgyvering at its finest.  It took just over an hour to get to the airport and once there I found us some provisions for the ride back and settled into wait for the guests to arrive.  The guests made there way out of the hall and I finally was able to wrap my arms around the real deal.  Ah much better.  I handed out the supplies and off we went to the car.  Three people for one week sure bring a lot of luggage.  Something tells me if the 4 of us ever do a road trip we are going to be screwed.

Car is fantastic, driver is friendly and we even manage to stop in the middle of nowhere to make room for some more supplies.  Everybody is having a great time, relaxed and enjoying the ride.  We aren't really making that great of time as the car isn't going that fast.  Even the buses with the tourists on them are passing us.  Oh well no big deal it's a relaxing ride.  Wind in our hair, full moon, stars, almost magical.  We are about 10 away from the hotel when all of a sudden BOOM!!!  we hit something.  Radiator explodes all over us and we check to see if everybody is ok.  Everybody is fine.  Next question is wtf just happened???  We hit a cow.  Somehow the driver didn't see the cow and we hit it.  We quickly get out of the car to see what happened and the car is a disaster.  It's a write off.  

In the meantime you can hear the not so well off cow back up the road.  The women aren't finding this as humorous as my buddy and I so we console them.  It's at this point that I start talking to the driver to figure out what the plan is.  He promises that his buddy is coming back to get us, but I want to get my guests to the hotel asap.  I want to avoid the police when they show up and get to bed (It's about 11:30 at this point).  Lots of cars are slowing down to chat with us about what happened and I see a taxi.  I quickly chat him up and we are off.  Our driver didn't want us to leave but I gave him my cell phone info, slide him some cash, and we are off.

We get to the hotel, get everybody checked in and go our separate ways.  We all want a shower to wash off the bits of cow and radiator water and sleep.  Over the next few days we continue to make jokes about it but in all honesty if we hadn't been in enormous and heavy car, things could have turned out differently.

I know that normally movies and tv shows that no animals were harmed in the making of this story, but we can't say that this time.  The cow did pass on but it did take him/her awhile to get there.  Nothing we could do about it, but I'm sure the meat was put to good use.

More to come but this was the amazing start to what was a fantastic week.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Strange Day

It's Been a Long Time Since I Left You