Unrest afoot???

Ah Cuba.  Things seem to be chugging along smoothly and then the trouble starts.  You can really tell how the economy is doing by the level of petty crime and theft.

At the end of May one of our guys had his spare tire stolen from the back of his truck overnight.  The tire was locked in the back of his truck with a wrapped cable and a good solid padlock.  Obviously they cut the cable.  They then proceed to fit the tire through a hole in the fence.  Now we do have guards and they are supposed to be patrolling but in all honesty they are helping the thieves and getting paid for their help.  We thought it was a one of event and moved our trucks to a different location closer to where the guards sit and sleep (they are supposed to be awake).

So this trip in I expected that everything would be ok.  Well I was wrong.  After work today I got a call from one of our guys to come over to his room.  He proceeds to show me a pile of wooden blocks.  I asked him what they were for.  His answer, that's my rear tire.  Overnight they had jacked up his truck and stolen the tire off of his truck.  Again we have guards.  This can't be a quiet operation.  Again they must have seen this or assisted in it.

So after absorbing this I head off to the gym for some exercise.  The gym does have an air conditioner but it doesn't work that well.  It's pretty much like working out in a sauna.  We get through our routine and we are exhausted.  On the way back into the compound I see my boss walking and his vehicle.  He doesn't say anything to us as he is driving out, but he doesn't normally come to the compound.  We both thought it was strange but didn't think much of it.  No sooner do I get into my room then I receive a text that one of our guy's room has been broken into.

So off we go to take a look at what had happened.  A few months back in anticipation of problems starting, the management of the compound decided to install bars on our rear windows as they can't be seen.  It even includes the place to put a lock over the rear door.  In our minds there is no way that we can be broken into this way.  Apparently not.  They cut the bars, bent them up, and then pried the glass out of the window frame.  It must have been a small child the slithered into the room.  Apparently all that they took was an older iPod.  Our company's policy is to replace items that are stolen but still you feel a bit violated.

Anyhow it seems like it's time to batten down the hatches and make sure everything is out of sight or in my work bag.  It really is a shame as most of the Cuban people are very friendly and kind.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Strange Day

It's Been a Long Time Since I Left You